STOCKHOLM: GAMLA STAN

Here's a youtube drone video I found - it's flying over Old Town Stockholm.  We spent some time there, but I must confess - I'm gonna have to do some research before I can figure out what's what.  Anyhow.... the clip is kinda longish (about 12 minutes) but even if you just watch a couple of minutes of it I think you'd find it enjoyable.  


I was surprised by Stockholm.  It just looked so different than I imagined.

Gamla Stan (translated The Old Town) used to be called Staden mellan broarna (The Town between the Bridges).   The old town dates back to the 1200s and consists of medieval alleyways, cobbled streets and archaic architecture.  

Stockholm city itself has 14 islands (with Old Town being one of them). 

Internet pic of Stockholm


Log sculpture (internet pic)

 
The name Stockholm means "log island" in Swedish.  There's a legend that people were looking for a location for the capital city of Sweden.  The leaders of Sigtuna took a log of wood, cut out all the wood inside, filled it with gold, and let it float on the water.  The log was floating on the water for several days and eventually hit land on the island where Gamla Stan today is located.  The island was named Stockholm - meaning where the log hit ground.