ONTBIJTEN

I was so proud of myself - I recognized a Dutch word in Amsterdam.  Ontbijt means breakfast, and I know that because the Dutch Golden Age artists often painted breakfast pieces.  Now why they have a drawing of a cat and what looks like a beer there - I don't know.  But trust me - it says breakfast.

 

Here's a few more things at our breakfast table in Amsterdam.  That's the thing about holidays - you can always just put stuff in your backpack and then discover them later.  "Oh nice - it's cheese." or "Oh its a slab of butter".   Just how hungry am I right now?




You can't beat the Eggs Benedict in the dining room on the ship for breakfasts.  


The Lido (buffet style) always had the English breakfasts. 

and the Asian booth usually had smoked salmon for breakfast.  I was going to eat more Asian style this trip, but I just couldn't trade my Belgian waffles and eggs benedict for smoked and pickled raw fishy things.  Although I must say - everything at their booth always looked beautiful.


This section looked beautiful too - so I usually gravitated there later on in the mornings. 

One of my favorite things - and always available....  Cheese plate.
 


I don't know if you'd call this "breakfast" on the plane.  I was so turned around.  I just ate whatever they gave me - and if there was booze involved then I figured it wasn't breakfast.  The food on KLM was really good. 
I had to take some pics because everything was so "Delft".  The food carts, the placemats, everything had that Delft pottery look to it. 


Mid afternoon snack.  Cold drink and an ice cream cone.  So cute.



I did a little page on Delft pottery over on one of my art blogs if you want to read about it...
PRESS HERE TO READ PAGE

And here's a nice example of a breakfast piece on that same blog....
 PRESS HERE